Ground penetrating radar for mobile mass data collection
Stream EM in accompaniment with the Leica Pegasus:Two offers a solution that provides an integrated hardware platform for extensive 3D mapping of both underground utilities and surface features in only one scan.
This ground penetrating radar solution allows mobile mass data collection of underground utilities due to the use of a massive array of antennas. At the same time as capturing calibrated imagery and point cloud data, the solution uses:
- Laser scanner (or several scanners)
- LiDAR technology
- GNSS receiver
- Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU)
- Distance Measurement Instrument (DMI)
All on a mobile platform (vehicle), acquire accurate and precise spatial data.
The solution has been conceived to cover tens of hectares per day, obtaining the best underground utility and surface surveys while maintaining the same 15 km/h maximum data collection speed.
Combining positioning data provided by the Leica Pegasus:Two with the comprehensive 3D underground view supplied by the IDS Stream EM enables very accurate reconstruction of the geospatial coordinates of assets irrespective of variations in the scanning trajectory (which is not always straight) and the elevation. As a result, it is possible to produce a very accurate map of underground assets with a resolution of just a few cm/inches.
The availability of a complete knowledge of underground facilities enables better decisions to be made in the design of new installations. A reduction in the risk of unforeseen problems due to utilities or major anomalies, such as sinkholes being discovered during the construction phase, is also achieved.
The system features:
- Can be towed by a vehicle up to 15 km/h (9 mph) and can run continuously without blocking traffic.
- Accurate to as little as 5 cm (2 inches) – Stream provides accurate geolocalisation of the surveyed area and individually distinguishes all pipes, cables and anomalies detected.
- Cost and time reductions: Can cover tens of hectares per day with no need to block traffic.
- Marries imagery and point cloud data into a single calibrated, user-intuitive platform.
- Fully calibrated spherical view through an optional dome camera to enable city modeling.
- Capture and edit 3D spatial objects from images or within the point cloud.
- No need for dedicated or modified vehicles.
- Software enables access to Esri® ArcGIS for Desktop.
Benefits of the Pegasus:Stream include:
- Improved management of utility and surface mapping via a comprehensive 3D model of the below and above ground facilities;
- Accurate X-Y-Z location of underground assets in absolute geographic coordinates;
- Cost and time reductions: Improves traditional GPR productivity by a factor > 20;Facilitates large surveys: The system can be towed manually or with a small vehicle, increasing the acquisition speed (up to 6 km/h).
- Increase in accuracy with a detection accuracy of as little as 5 cm (2 inches);
- Increase productivity and detect every buried target.
OneVision – Acquisition software for use in the field
Providing real-time target viewing, onsite object mapping and GPS navigation, OneVision is a software application for advanced GPR data collection This powerful tool can be used with an array of antennas when performing utility mapping, archeological and environmental surveys, and extensive mapping of medium to large size projects.
OneVision is available for:
OneVision is a powerful application for advanced surveys with integrated navigation, featuring:
- Real-time tomography on a cartographic background (e.g. Google Maps, GeoTIFF and KML)
- Multi-view screen with GPR radar maps (B-scan and T-scan), radar tomography (C scan) and cartography
- Survey planning tools
- Special function for the RIS MF Hi-Mod array that allows tomographic merging of transversal and longitudinal swathes
- Continuous monitoring of GPR and GPS statuses
- Survey management with interactive and on-site target mapping as well as review and editing.
OneVision provides increased productivity and reduced costs. Other benefits include:
- Immediate decision-making with real-time on-site detection
- Target recognition removing the need for specialist skills
- Immediate understanding of complex environments (e.g., urban areas) with the tomographic map in real time
- Complete coverage is always provided in a single visit with integrated acquisition and navigation functions
GRED HD 3D CAD – specialised integration software
Specifically designed to offer an integrated framework for CAD and GIS, GRED HD 3D CAD combines the characteristics of industrial productivity with high levels of reliability.
The software offers the fast creation and display of 2D and 3D tomograms in just a few minutes after basic filtering. Raw data, structures and objects of any generic shape are able to be directly exported to CAD or GIS maps.
The software is fully compatible with any GPS or positioning data in order to obtain automatically geo-referenced data plots.
Key features include:
- Real-time display of trajectories using GPS or Total Station.
- 2D and 3D tomography for an immediate visualisation and detection of anomalies.
- Automated transfer to CAD/GIS: the identified target can be automatically transferred to CAD or GIS maps for professional SUE / utility mapping.
- Geolocated data information and visualisation
Copyright © 2022, Falcon Geomatics LLC – All Rights reserved